HOW TO FREEZE BREAST MILKBreast Milk Pouch Preparation, Freezing & Storage.
HOW TO FREEZE BREast MILK IN COMMONLY FOUND STORAGE BAGS.
Flat and evenly distributed frozen breast milk pouches are important for even re-warming and Freeze Drying. You also want your pouches to have hemogenized fat distribution. Here are some tips to collect, freeze and store your breast milk for a better baby bottle.
**Remember to wash your hand prior to opening storage bags and transferring milk. Keep your bags sterile!
- Immediately chill freshly expressed milk in its collection bottle.
- Once chilled, remove the bottle from the refrigerator and GENTLY swirl the bottle to re-incorporate any separated milk fats back into the fluid.
- Once the milk fat is distributed, transfer into your sterile milk storage bag. Minimize touching the interior of the bag with your fingers.
- Fill to the recommend fill amount. Do not over fill your bags as it increase the chances of a bag failure during freezing. Seal the bag closed.
- Best practice is to use a kitchen scale to weigh your bags. Bags should be no more then 6oz for most bags.
- Lay the bag FLAT for its initial freezing. You can also use a breast milk pouch flattener tool for a perfectly flat milk pouch. This ensures the milk freezes evenly, saves space and will warm more evenly.
- Let freeze overnight. You may then stack the bags as needed.
Flat milk storage pouches with evenly distributed fat ensure a fantastic future baby bottle or freeze dried pouch!
Want a great storage tool to help create a wonderfully even and flat frozen breastmilk pouch? Check out Mammaway Freeze It Flat Breasmilk Pouch Flattener to help evenly freeze, stack and store.
LISA’S STORAGE PICKS
Here are some quick links to some of my favorite picks on Amazon to make packaging and storing your milk more compact and for more even warming and use!